Sunday, April 5, 2009

LET'S GO HEELS!!!

I'm up pretty early to catch the Carolina - Villanova game!!! Let's go heels!

One of my students yesterday suggested a new food to me. I was talking about how I like fish, and wanted to try some new veggies. He suggested takenoko, which is young bamboo shoots. I've seen it in the grocery store, but didn't know what it was / how to cook it. I'm feeling a bit more curious now... maybe I'll attempt that soon.

Also, Vince has decided to try to get me to eat the grossest things imaginable. Yesterday, I tried nato (pictured), which is fermented soybeans. It sounds gross, smells even worse, and tastes kinda like cold baked beans. I actually don't mind it, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I like it. It's super cheap, very nutricious, and a lot of native Japanese won't touch the stuff. I think it's an aquired taste, and maybe I'll aquire it, just to impress people hahaha. Also, I tried fish eggs, which just taste like salty strange texture to me. Both are pretty good on rice though.

From the past couple days:

Thursday morning I got up super early and went to Sannomiya to go shopping with Jen. I didn't buy anything, and probably won't do that again, as it made the day INCREDIBLY LOOOOONG. I was so tired. I am, however, totally in love with the store Muji. It's hard to compare it to an American store. It has different floors, furniture, food and cooking, bed linens.... all in a neutral palate. My mom might say it's bland, I think it's great!

I think I'm going to use my train pass and head towards the school. There's a Muji there, and it's closer. I want to buy a new frying pan. The one I have has all the teflon worn off, and since I don't know where to find cooking spray, everything just sticks. Maybe after the game...

Today will be a lot of cleaning and reorganizing. Storing my suitcases (finally), hanging up clean laundry, going grocery shopping... how exciting! I hope it doesn't rain, because I totally left my umbrella at the 7-11 last night hahahaha.

No comments: