Friday, April 17, 2009

"How about coffee at 11:30?"

Yesterday, I had to go to Osaka for a 3 hour meeting. Before the meeting, I made plans to get coffee with one of the teachers I had training with. I gave myself 2 hours to get there, more than enough time, because I was sure I'd get a little lost.

I went to Sannomiya, no problem. Got on the Hanku line to Umeda, easy. Transferred from railway to subway, like a breeze (even though the fare map wasn't in English). Got to Yodoyabashi station, and since I was running late (I took the local to Umeda, instead of the Limited Express), I just followed the crowd out of the station.

I looked up and realized I didn't remember which number was the exit I was supposed to take. 11? 3? 1? I took 11. It sounded right....

Wrong. Nothing looked familiar, I had abandoned hope of coffee, and now just wanted to make it to the meeting on time. I called my coworker, who was on his way, and he tried to help me. Turns out Yodoyabashi Station is a helluva lot bigger than I thought. Like, 5 blocks underground. I came out on the West side. I needed to be on the East side.

Needless to say, I asked a station attendant for directions. She gave me a map. I need to learn to ask for directions in Japanese.... I got lucky and just started walking in one direction. I find my building, and hurry up to the meeting. As I step off the elevator, I almost trip because the sole of my shoe has come detached. What the hell.... So I run in, late, with a floppy high heel. Embarassing. But they weren't angry, my coworker had explained the situation.

On the way home, I walked with two of my fellow training teachers and we kinda made plans for Golden Week.

When I got to work, my bad mood lifted considereably.....



I GOT A PACKAGE! From Aunt Vickie and Nanny!!! A very heavy package! With mac n' cheese, Gatorade, sunglasses, and a whole lot more! IT'S AWESOME! Thank you so much!!!!

No comments: