Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wise Owl Glasses

I'm really excited to see my parents in a few days! Then I can stop taking photos of myself, and take photos of them.

They're going to be really jealous of my glasses, though....

This morning, I walked my bike over a few blocks to a neighborhood bike shop to see if they could fix the flat tire I incurred late Sunday evening. This is the conversation we had:

Shop Owner: おはようございます! (Good morning!)
Me: Good morning!
SO: 何かお困りですか? (How can I help you?)
Me: *points to flat tire* Kore wa... (This....) ppppffffffffffttt *air escaping tire sound effect*
SO & Wife: hahahahaha. 私はあなたのために修正することができます。(I can fix that for you).

I love Japan for the simple fact that most language-barrier-induced situations can easily be remedy through a subtle application of pantomime and sound effects.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that sort of communication it helps out even teaching photography here at ASU. You need to go buy a wider lens!