Friday, August 21, 2009

Obon Week - Day Four - Nara


Our visit to Nara started with an 1.5 hour train ride. It was pretty pleasant though. Once we got to Nara, I showed my parents the only vending machine I've seen with Mtn. Dew. However, it has been confirmed that Mtn. Dew is also available closer to where I live. Also via Amazon Japan.

Anyways, we ate lunch at a very delicious tempura restaurant. As we were leaving, I told the waitress, "Gochisosamadeshita", which means "That was a good meal". She smiled at me and said thanks.



The first stop was Kofukuji Temple, which includes the Five Story Pagoda, Gojunoto. Please note the brutal rain clouds rolling in.


Mom checks a map beside a new construction site.


... and then I noticed the rain clouds / blue sky behind her. Strange.


Mom and Dad in front of the Five Story Pagoda, Gojunoto.


Dad and I in front of the Three Story Pagoda.


Dad loves deer.


I don't remember how this happened, but I took a photo of Mom where I pinched her head. Mom says, "... pinch your little head off" sometimes.


Anyway, it made Dad laugh very hard, so I did the same to him.


My family in front of the Eastern Golden Hall, called Tokondo.


What are you looking at?


Mom and Dad in front of Todai-ji Temple in Nara. This is the largest wooden structure in the world. Inside is a Daibutsu, Japanese for "giant Buddha".


Dad and I at Todai-ji.


Dad and I resting in the cool of the building.


Dad in front of one of the huge wooden carvings.


A few sample heads. They definitely have "b face" going on.


Mom and Dad in front of a small shrine at Todai-ji. If you rub the shrine, and then rub what hurts on you, it's supposed to help.


I opted to pinch his head, instead.


On the train ride home, I got Mom and Dad to try this great drink I have all the time. This one's grape flavored. It's like a jelly, with chunks of fruit in it. I admit, it's bizarre. That's why I like it.


"Oh that's different." - Dad


"Gross." - Mom
At least they tried it!

No comments: