Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Obon Week - Day Two - Kobe Harborland & Chinatown

Sunday was a really overcast and rainy day. We decided to venture out anyway. We bought an all day pass for the Kobe City Loop bus line. We rode down to Harborland, and visited the Earthquake Memorial, the Port Tower, and happened upon a street festival.

Mom and I in the rain at the Earthquake Memorial.


Mom & Dad in front of the Port Tower.


At the top of the tower at a gift shop. These cats danced. To a Shania Twain song.


View of Kobe in the fog. My parents stayed at the Shin Kobe Crowne Plaza, which is the tall building furthest left.


Dad looking at the skyline.


Mom liked the pink pirate ship.


Dad liked the spaceship ride.


We had beers on the street and they tried takoyaki (octopus in fried doughballs). They didn't like it.


They did like the beer.


Drinking in front of police on the street.


Ladies dancing.


Dad really wanted to ride the shinkansen train.


This statue had gum in its mouth.


Can you spot the gross dish?


Waiting in the rain for the bus.


Nankin Machi (Chinatown).


Dad is super pumped to be hanging out in the rain.






We ate dinner at my favorite 280 izakaiya. My parents thought the food was really good. I taught my parents how to say "cheers!" in Japanese (kampai! ["com-pie"]). My mom said, "Cowpie!". How southern of her.... It was a good joke though, and Dad and I almost spit beer out of our noses.



2 comments:

-t said...

Mer=hunchback of Japan?
If i come we are totally riding that train

Mere said...

Backpack under the raincoat, yo.