Friday, July 24, 2009

I love doughnuts, but...

Advertising works so well on me.

Mr. Doughnuts, the Japanese cousin of Duncan, has a point card system. It's never really affected my doughnut-purchasing habits before (as in, I only bought them twice since I've been here), but they have a new promotion. 150 points and you can get a pretty cute tote bag. I already have the former teacher's card with 120 points. So I think, "Hey! No problem! A few doughnuts and I can get a bag!".

Last night after work, I stopped by to buy a half dozen. Now, I know you all must think I can read and speak Japanese after all the time I've been here. Prepare yourselves for a shock though.... I can't. So needless to say, I'm surprised with what I buy 99% of the time. I'm glad I'm open minded. It's like a game.

Anyways....

My coworker had told me about the tofu doughnuts they have. I bought some of those, which are in fact, DELICIOUS! And I learned long ago that anything green is not mint. As an American, that is my first assumption, however in Japan, anything green is matcha (green tea) flavored. Not bad, really.

I bought some matcha-iced doughnuts, which appeared to be split open and filled with chocolate. However, upon my first bite this morning, I discovered not chocolate, but red beans. Not even paste, just whole beans in syrupy gunk.

Completely delicious, though.

No comments: