Sunday, September 27, 2009

Lourve & a haircut

One of my adult students gave me two tickets to the Kyoto Museum of Art for the Lourve Exhibition. The only day I could go was the last day, so Lamika and I went to Kyoto on Sunday to check it out. However, everyone else in Kansai had the same idea, and the line wrapped around the entire museum. We decided not to wait in line, and walked over to another exhibition hall. We found lots of neat things to look at, and got information on when and where to watch a dressing of a meiko! I need to go back on a Sunday and check that out.


Giant tori in Kyoto.


Lamika in front of the giant tori.


In Kyoto, we also saw two interesting things:

An warning poster in the station. Please stop pedophiles.


This man playing a full out concert of pan flute music, in part of the station. The guy on the front row, in the white tee shirt, actually walked up with his own guitar, took it out of the case, and was attempting to play along.

After that, we met up with Jen in Osaka to get our hair cut. Lamika had gotten her hair cut by this man before, he owned a salon in NYC for 20 years, so he spoke really good English. He was very nice, super fashionable and sophisticated, and his salon was really beautiful! Also, either he's kinda bossy or I'm a pushover:

Him: So, what are we doing with your hair today, darling? I'm thinking some heavier bangs, and lots of layers in the back. I'll cut of.... maybe one inch. How does that sound?
Me: Actually, I'd just like a trim, I'm trying to grow my hair out.
Him: No no no, you can maybe grow it three more inches, but any longer will look all wrong. Let me put in some layers.
Me: Ok.

Hahaha. Anyway, a Japanese salon experience is great! They shampoo your hair, and give you a nice massage, and then you get another massage as your waiting in the chair to get your hair brushed, ahhhhhhh it's great.

After we all had our hair cut, we went shopping in Shinsaibashi, and ate dinner at an izakaya. Great day.

Giant displays advertising the restaurants in Shinsaibashi.


Busy shopping street.


You can pose like the running man thing. I look like a straight up cheerleader.


Some guy took a bad photo.


This is the background I wanted.

2 comments:

m said...

are those pics after you got your hair cut? I can't see, it's too little! need new pics, plz.

-t said...

I think your haircut looks good. We apparently cut our hair on the same cycle (mostly cause i'm too cheap to maintain it short)