Friday, August 27, 2010

Mere's Asian Adventure - Chapter 4: China

So, I'm staying in Japan until October 22nd now. The company needed a foreign teacher at a school outside Osaka, and they offered me a two week vacation before teaching for three weeks if I did it.

I need to pay for this trip somehow, right?....

Anyways, the new plan is this: Finish working in Kobe Sept. 17. Fly to China, Couch Surf with Kylie in Shanghai for three days, take the train to Suzhou and stay with John David for a week (hopefully taking an overnight train up to Beijing, and seeing the Expo in Shanghai), then flying back to Osaka. Teach at Takatsuki School for three weeks, then come home.

Right now, my only mystery is what I'm going to do between when I finish work in Kobe, and when I fly to China (a gap of 5 days). I think I might be house sitting for a friend while she's in Okinawa!

Tickets and destinations aside, I do have to do a bit of paperwork and running around to even be allowed into China. As an American, I have to obtain a visa from the Chinese Embassy in Osaka, before I ever depart for China. If you were from any country, except the US, it will cost $30. How much if you're an American, you ask?

$130.

Daaaaaaaaamn. That's quite the increase. For only one country. And since the embassy's in Osaka, I have to go there this Monday, and drop off my passport, then go back next Monday to pick it up. Geez, what a hassle.

No comments: