Saturday, January 16, 2010

Snow & Einstein

Wednesday on my way into school, I noticed it was snowing. Not a lot, just a few giant fluffy flakes. It was awful pretty though. I tried to take a photo, but it didn't turn out as expected. Also, I'm curious to know the Japanese equivalent of running out to buy milk and bread at the first sign of snow.




Saturday, I listened to two 10 year old student's fictional stories, and they were great. The teacher had been discussing inventors, and asked me, "Mere chan, do you know why Einstein is famous?" I replied that he came up with the theory of relativity. That was received with blank stares. I explained as follows:

"Imagine you are having fun with a friend. One hour passes, but it only feels like a few minutes. Then imagine accidentally putting your hand on a hot burner on the stove. It was only a few seconds, but it felt like an eternity. That's relativity."

Even I am impressed with that short and simple explanation. Boo-yah.

No comments: