Monday, November 16, 2009

Fall leaf gazing in Kyoto

Sunday after hiking, I ran home, took a shower, and hopped on the special rapid to Kyoto. Jen, Miho and I went to Eikan-do to see the leaves lit up at night. It was so beautiful!














Musicians playing traditional Japanese music on one of the bridges. It was breathtaking.




This is a special Sapporo beer. It looks fake to me.


Along the way to Ginkaku-ji, there were many groups of high school students.


Tall hedges outside Ginkaku-ji.




That mound is sand. And it's perfectly smooth.






The "Silver Pavillion" my ass...


Japanese garden.






Ginkaku-ji and downtown Kyoto behind it. Notice how hardly any of the leaves have changed color yet? It's already mid November! I'm used to them being off the trees by now!






Kampai-ing on a bridge on our walk to Chion-in.

Chion-in! Find Me!






I thought it was banana, but it's a moon.


I swear this Chinese family asked us to be in their photo. It was awesome. I then asked if I could take the same photo hahahaha. Best friends for life...


Typical Japanese temple photo: Someone taking a photo, and high school students in uniform.






We were tired of straight smiling photos.


Kiyomizu-dera.










Up a pretty serious hill, mind you.


I love this photo.


The famous balcony or porch at the temple.




After we left Kiyomizu-dera, Jen and I got our bags and headed to the station to go home. It was 7:30, so we stopped to eat dinner in the station. There's a Subway there. It's AMAZING. I remember my Mom telling me when she lived in France, she would eat McDonald's when she was homesick. I'm not homesick (most of the time), but holy cow if Subway isn't the biggest treat for me when I find one.

No comments: