Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Doppleganger Effect

Saturday after class, I hoped on a bus over to Tarumi and had dinner with Jen, Miho, and some of their students. They are all so nice! We ate lots of different foods (fried tofu, chicken tempura, chicken livers, etc).

From bottom right, clockwise: Shoji, me, Jen, Yoshiko, Yoko, Yoko, Satoshi, Yuko, Kei, and Miho.




Saturday also proved to be a hilarious day for student quotes at my school.

Akinori, talking about customs: "Do Americans ever eat hamburgers for breakfast?"
Me: No, never.
Akinori: REALLY?!?!?!
He was shocked. I asked what he thought a typical American breakfast was, and he replied,

"Hamburger, potato, and milk."

I wonder what movie he saw that influenced his idea.


Masanori asked me if I planned to watch the Rice Bowl. That just seems self-depreciating to me. It's called the Koshien Bowl, and it's a championship game in American football in Japan. Cute nickname.


Hideto, who reminds me of a mix of Christian McAdams and Louis, said he loves Metallica. That is shocking to me, that he loves heavy metal. He also likes Dragonforce and Dream Theater.



As I said, he reminds me of Christian. I also have another student, Airi, who reminds me of my cousin Stephanie. Am I seeing dopplegangers because it's true, or because I've been gone so long? And at what point does everyone here start to look like someone from home?

1 comment:

F-Luc said...

Yeah, I'm getting the doppelganger effect a bit, too..... And as for the everyone looking like people from back home? I give you about 1 more year.